Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Weeknight Dessert: Easy Ice Cream Cake

Hey guys! Sorry for the big gap between posts. This is a really busy part of the year and I realized pretty quickly that posting every single day was just not going to be feasible (at least until summer break...yay teacher life!) Anyways, today I wanted to take it in a totally non-decor direction with this easy dessert recipe! This is in no way my original recipe but to whoever thought of it first...kudos to you! It's quick to assemble, requires ridiculously easy ingredients, and tastes incredibly delicious. The hardest part by far, is waiting for it to firm up in the freezer. I certainly don't make a dessert every night of the week, but when I feel like doing a little something special...this recipe is a go to. 

Introducing, the Simplest Ice Cream Cake you will ever make!


First, the ingredients:


Probably the best thing about this cake (besides the joy of eating it) is that you don't actually have to prepare any of the ingredients. You just have to buy them.

1) Ice Cream Sandwiches (Any variety you like...the sky's the limit!) I chose the original chocolate on the outside, vanilla on the inside. Plain and simple.


2) Cool Whip. Need I say more?
(16 oz. container for those of us who like to go big or go home.)


3) Store bought (yeah you better believe I didn't actually bake cookies for this!) chocolate chip cookies. I used Annie's cookies because that's what I already had in the pantry.



4) Sprinkles
(Totally optional but I still had these from like 3 Easters ago so I figured why not?)
Side Note: Do sprinkles go bad? Hope not. 


After you have gathered together all of these gourmet ingredients...*ahem* it is time to start assembling your Ice Cream Cake!


Step 1: Line the bottom of your pan with ice cream sandwiches. Yes, I did have to break one in order to get it to fit right and there was just a little bit left that would not fit in the pan. (Not complaining...yum.) Moving on. Note: If you would like to be able to easily remove your cake once it's done freezing in order to display it cutely on a platter or something...I would suggest lining the whole pan with a big piece of wax or parchment paper so you can lift the whole thing out in one piece. I, however only care about the eating part when it is finished in the freezer so I skipped this step altogether.


Step 2: Cover those bad boys with a generous layer of cool whip. Just make sure not to go too terribly crazy because you still have 2 more layers of the cool whip to go!


Step 3: Cover that luscious layer of cool whip with a layer of your store-bought cookies. Note: it won't look perfect. You will more than likely have to break some cookies in the process. Don't worry, this only allows for more snacking while "cooking". If you can even call it that.


Step 4: More cool whip. Be still my heart.


Step 5: The stars of the show make another appearance. Note how precise I was when breaking them and arranging them for maximum coverage...NOT. 


Step 6: The final layer of cool whip. This is where you can just really go crazy and use up whatever is left in that tub. It may look like too much but trust me: One can never add too much cool whip. I'm pretty sure Confucius said that. 


Step 7: Get wild and crazy and use those old Easter sprinkles that have been sitting in the cabinet for years and fall out every time you open it to get your claritin in the mornings. Yolo, am I right?


Step 8: Cover your masterpiece with foil (or if you have an actual lid that goes with your pan, that's even better. I don't.) and put it in the freezer to firm up for a couple of hours. This will be a true test of your self-control but you can do it. I believe in you.

I don't actually have a picture of step 9 to show you because my cake is still in the freezer stage. However, step 9 goes a little something like this:

  • Take Cake out of freezer.
  • Remove foil (or don't...to each their own.)
  • Eat Cake.
  • Love life. You deserve it.
Happy Hump Day, Lovelies!


No comments:

Post a Comment